Tightness in lower back, shoulder and neck. MRI and CT scan normal. What is causing this?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am a 35 year old male and for the past two years have been suffering from tightness in the low back, shoulders, and neck that can radiate up the side of my face and head. At times it feels like pressure or congestion, but it can also give me a feeling of malaise, or illness. Otherwise in good health, completed an ironman triathlon in October, but the symptoms come and go with no pattern. Have had head and neck MRI and CT, all normal, same for blood work. Have been doing neck stretching and manipulation, have switched to a standing desk to improve posture, and continue to work out to maintain and build strength. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Firstly I would like to tell you that there is mild variation in size and colour of pupils in some individuals. No need to worry about that.
Other symptoms look like a non specific fibromyalgia. Plenty of exercise, addressing any stress and seeing a physiotherapist will help. Try and evaluate if something is causing stress as stress can indeed extremely varied and weird manifestations.
Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further questions

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 16 hours later
Thank you for the feedback - I will definitely have that checked out. One of my frustrations is that I live a well-balanced and healthy lifestyle - plenty of exercise (possibly too much some might say), a very healthy diet, and good amounts of sleep. I feel like I handle stress and other unexpected things well, yet I still feel worn out and beat. I do feel like I have had all the appropriate tests though, so am somewhat at a loss as to what to pursue next.

Thanks again.
Thanks for writing back.
I think your exercise pattern needs to evaluated by experienced trainer. It may be root cause for all problems. You need to do relaxation therapy in stressful situations. Yoga or XXXXXXX breathing can help significantly.
There is no need to take any special measures for the present situation.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.