Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Thyroid ultrasound showed Mild thyroid enlargement overall. The gland is inhomogeneous with character of goiter. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
I had a thyroid ultrasound and these are the finding: Mild thyroid enlargement overall. The right lobe measures 5.0 x 1.4 x 1.5 cm. The left lobe is larger, including the exophytic lower pole nodule creating a length of 7.3 x 1.9 x 1.6 cm. The isthmus is prominent at nearly 5 mm. In general, the gland is inhomogeneous with character of goiter. Hyperechoic 4 and 6 mm nodules on the right have character suggesting calcification. Along the lower pole of the left, there is a somewhat exophytic 3.0 x 2.1 x 2.3 cm hypoechoic solid appearing nodule.
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy may be necessary to assess thyroid cells

Detailed Answer:
Thyroid nodules are fairly common, more so in women, and the majority (upto 95 %) are benign. If you do not have major risk factors for thyroid cancer such as past exposure to radiation to the neck area, a past history of thyroid cancer or a first degree relative with thyroid cancer, or suspicious looking nodules on ultrasound then the risk of these nodules being cancerous is low.

Given the size of the nodule on the left, I generally recommend a fine needle aspiration biopsy to look at the cells. Some people opt for surgery to have it removed all together to get a definitive answer after surgery when the specimen is analyzed in a lab, as to whether or not it is cancerous. This is because biopsy is not 100 % accurate. Others choose to monitor the growth of the nodule over time. Some people do not do anything about it as most are benign.

For more information on thyroid nodules, peruse this link:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor