Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Thyroid test report suggests high TSH, low FT4. Advise medication and diet

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
Hi Sir !
I am XXXXXXX XXXXXXX From a recent thyroid test report of mine I found my FT3- normal, FT4- Low and FTSH- High as the Report attached.
Sir I want you to please go through the attached report and tell me what are the problems and how can I can get rid of this problem. Please specify DOs and DON'Ts for me. Please sir tell me in brief which will be helpful for me.
Thank You.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 15 hours later
Your labs indicate an underactive thyroid. There is nothing to worry. It is a fairly common and treatable condition. It requires lifelong treatment with a medication called levothyroxine. I believe the brand name in India is Eltroxin. A typical starting dose is 50 to 75 mcg and then further adjustments are made based upon blood test results about 6 weeks later. Within a few months, a stable dose is arrived at. most men need about 100-125 mcg daily. As long as you take this medicine regularly for life, there are no complications as long as you periodically monitor your labs to ensure hormone levels are in the range of normal. Peruse this weblink for more information. WWW.WWWW.WW
And this one too

It would be ideal to see an endocrinologist in person to get an initial evaluation.

Sometimes, one starts out with a lower dose if the individual has heart disease or an irregular heart rhythm , or in an elderly person , or someone with osteoporosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Thyroid test report suggests high TSH, low FT4. Advise medication and diet 12 hours later
I have uploaded the checklist of my symptoms and photos of my throat.
Please go through it and tell me what is the status of my diseases now. Do I have Hypothyroidism or anything else. What can I do to activate my thyroid functioning to its normal position again. Is life long medication the only solution for this or there is any other alternative ?
Sir, tell me the the best treatment I need for this Seeing the checklist of my symptoms. I'll be grateful to you for your kind attention. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Thank you for sending the information. I reviewed it thoroughly

You clearly have hypothyroidism. There appears to be no major thyroid enlargement in the pictures. However to appreciate the structure of the thyroid a physical examination (physician's fingers) is helpful.

You have several classic symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism
and would benefit from starting treatment soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor