Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
Is Maca ok to take with slight under active thyroid? On thyroxine and last tsh level came in range. Also trying to conceive with no luck so far, negatives on ovulation predictor kits, menstrual cycles regular but very light which has been unusual for some time. Dr won't refer until tsh level stabilises which could take months. I think there may be underlying cause of under active thyroid such as other hormone deficiencies and maybe treating naturally to balance them will help. I am 28 female, 5ft 2inch and 7st 6 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Maca has not been reported in scientific literature to have any bearing on thyroid function. I am not aware of any published work of studies supporting its use for improving thyroid status.

Subfertility or difficulty conceiving is one of many possible consequences of thyroid problems (both overactive and underactive). However once the TSH is in the range of normal, it is most unlikely that reproductive derangement's occur. It is also important to ascertain if you truly have hypothyroidism, be it is subclinical or overt. Such a determination is best made by an endocrinologist who will run appropriate tests such as thyroid peroxidase antibodies etc , in addition to detailed clinical evaluation.

If you certainly have an underactive thyroid from one of the most common causes ie Hashimoto's thyroiditis which is an auto-immune condition, then there is a likelihood of other auto-immune disorders to be concomitantly present. Some examples are premature ovarian failure, adrenal insufficiency and type 1 diabetes. All this requires a careful assessment by an endocrinologist.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency 5 hours later
Hi Dr, I have been tested for thyroid peroxidase and the result is that the antibodies are present but in the borderline range. I have tried to get the dr to refer me to a specialist but he wants the tsh to stabilise first. Should I insist or ask for other blood tests? My first blood test was thorough and concluded no diabetes, potassium 3.9mmol/l haemolysed, interpret with care, liver results in range, blood cells in range, b12, folate & ferritin in range, fsh, lh & progesterone in range at luteal stage, tsh 7.99, t4 15pmol/l. Further tests have only been for tsh with last months at 1.52. Next blood test is on Friday.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The initial TSH was abnormal. This can sometimes be a temporary problem and may normalize by itself within a few months. However, in the context of positive thyroid antibodies, this can typically represent Hashimoto's thyroiditis, requiring life long replacement with thyroid hormone. Hence in this situation, treatment is considered appropriate and beneficial.

Once TSh is stable for a couple normal test over a period of 3-4 months, it is unlikely to interfere with reproductive function and other causes are worth pursuing.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor