Thyroid function tests, T4, T3, thyroid removed, hair loss, sore pimples on scalp. Overdose of thyroxine?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My thyroid function tests show on the 1/7/11 tha T4 is 22.3H and T3 is 5.1. My doctor has reduced my medication to help. I had my thyroid removed by 31 14 years ago. My hair is now very thin and looks like rat tails lank dirty/greasy although I was it every second day and I have some Pimple like sores appearing on my scalp. Is this due to over doses of thyroxine
I have also go Vulva Liche Selorcus which I developed 1.5 years ago and according to my doctor it is Very extreme. I was using a strong steroid creame but am now now using Dermaid ( my doctor change the creams as I was worse off with the other one which caused cracks and cuts in my area) Is there another way to treat this thing as it keeps flaring up and the itch and soreness is some times unbearable. I have tried Progestrone cream and after only 2 tiny dabs I had terrible cramp-like pains like I was in labour and I really had to bare down to ease the pain and then I had a small show of blood. I had the same reaction to Esterone treatment my doctor gave me when I first saw her for the itch and dryness which another doctor found I was in the first stages of LS.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. First of all hypothyroidism itself can cause hair shedding and hair loss and this can contribute to your thin hair.

Secondly, Thyroxine can cause Hair loss but it may occur during the first few months of treatment. This effect is usually temporary as your body adjusts to this medication. It does not cause permanent hair loss or thinning hair.

Since you are having pimple like sores as well along with thinned out hair, we need to rule out perifolliculitis scalp, alopecia aereta or telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is nonscarring alopecia characterized by diffuse hair shedding, often with an acute onset.

There is a chronic form also which persists for a longer duration and starts with insidious onset. An examination by a trichologist (hair expert) will rule out this condition and maybe he takes a culture of the sores or a small biopsy skin.

Regarding your medical condition of lichen sclerosus, apart from the standard treatment of topical steroids which you are already using, immune-modulating medications, such as tacrolimus (Protopic) and pimecrolimus are also useful but they are available under prescription and should be used only under medical supervision. Retinoids or vitamin A drugs can also be taken.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T