Thyroid cancer survivor. Taking thyroxine. What is the cause of high TSH level?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: What could be causing a high tsh (14.9)... I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and had total throidectomy 7 years ago... T3 and t4 normal ! dr has now idea but has increased meds from 200mcg thyroxine to 225 per day?

Usual hypo symptoms but more brain fog, loose stools (not forming) ... Just told to up meds and go back in a couple of months for more blood tests.

Now off work because I cannot actually function ... Anyone with any ideas. Too tired most of the time during day ... Sleep ok but feel totally unrefreshed in the morning. Went to gp initially with pain under right rib ... Checked for gallstones but nothing on ultrasound so left at that --- had liver function test and TFT's hence spotting the high tsh
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
High TSH is due either to erratic intake of thyroxine or suboptimal dose. TSH is the most sensitive index of thyroid status and changes much ealier than T3 T4 in thyroid dysfunction. So many patients have high or low TSH in the face of normal T3&T4. We see this routinely in clinical practice. Nothing abnormal about it thiugh. Some of your symptoms like weakness could be very well related to thyroid dysfunction. If related to thyroid symptomd will resolve over few weeks as TSH returns to normal. Those which dont resolve are unrelated. Wait till TSH returns to normal. Take some multivitamin, calcium and Vitamin D supplementation in the mean time.
Jope this helps
Shivaprasad
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 15 hours later
I have been on various thyroid forums and there seems to be a general consensus that armour / natural thyroid relieves symptoms much better than synthetic thyroxine. I realise consultants may have varying opinions but I'd be interested to hear yours and then see if we can even get this in the uk. I have always responded better to a small dose of t3 along with my t4 but I worry about strain on my heart (big family history of heart disease). Thanks. Mel
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 7 hours later
It is subjective feeling of the patients. There is no evidence scientifically for the same or in my experience. But if you want to try it I have no issues. Both preparations are available OTC and hence might be procurable in UK. Try - you may get them. I have no issues with small dose of T3 either. But careful monitoring will also be reqd to ensure all cardiac parameters are in normal limits.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad