Thumb hurts a lot. X-ray was fine. Suggested nerves were firing. Feeling sore. Suggestions?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, my name is John. I've been to a neurologist and an orthopedic hand surgeon. My left thumb hurts a lot at he base where it attaches to the rest of the hand. The hand surgeon took x-rays and said nothing is wrong. The neouologist took a pin test (ouch) and said the nerves are firing. When motor bike riding yesterday and had to take a pain pill last night. This morning it is still very sore --- any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more information on your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Actually, I need some more detailed information on your symptoms to know the possible underlying cause.

- Duration of your symptoms
- onset of pain (sudden or gradual in onset)
- Any history of injury/trauma to the painful site previously
- Any involvement of other joints elsewhere in the body
- Any swelling over the painful area
- Type of pain (dull achy, throbbing , stabbing, burning etc)
- Is the pain present continuously even at rest or is felt only during movements or activities
- Is the pain localised to an area over the base of thumb or is it radiating up into the forearm or down into the finger
- Any associated medical conditions like Diabetes, Lupus, Rhuematoid arthritis
- Any recent intake of antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin, Norfloxacin, Ofloxacin etc

Please provide answers for all the above questions so as to make me arrive at a possible diagnosis of your problem.