Thrush in throat, swollen tonsils.

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi have oral thrush on my throat and one of my tonsils is swollen, and swollen XXXXXXX on same side.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Oral thrush is coined for fungal infection of the oral cavity which leaves whitish patches in the oral mucosa. But what you are suffering from right now looks like a super added bacterial infection which is quite common in oral candidiasis.

I see that you are already receiving appropriate treatment for the oral candidiasis , continue taking them. I would also advise you to add an antibiotic like azithromycin or levofloxacin for the pharyngitis. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription. Also

1. Salt water gargle three times a day with warm water. Betadine gargle helps too but it has a bad taste
2. Avoid hot beverages and spicy food
3. Avoid milk and products of milk like cheese and butter

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hi, forgot to say i am taking VITAMIN B12 and FOLIC ACID because i am a veggie. Do i keep taking them?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Hello

You can vitamin b12 and Folic acid. It will help build immunity as well. It will not cause any drug interaction with the present drugs you are on.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery