Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Throbbing elbow pain, shoulder pain, family history of hinge joint problems. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Hi, I am a baseball player and after pitching 2 innings last week I began to get a throbbing elbow pain that went from the lateral to medial area of my elbow and up towards the shoulder as pain worsened. Any ideas of what it is? I am 19 years of age, 5'9", 190lbs, and my dad has had hinge joint problems.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 40 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you have a painful elbow. And with a background of baseball, which involves lot of throwing, the first doubt that I believe is a "Little Leaguer's Elbow."
Referred to as medial apophysitis, or the inflammation of the medial apophysis of the elbow joint.

What you need to do is rest for 2-3 weeks, ice packs, then a change in the throw technique. Over the counter pain killer might be helpful in reducing the pain. You can try ibuprofen 400mg twice daily for 3-5 days. Despite these measures if pain persists then you need to see a specialist.

You can read a lot about this commonly occurring condition from the american academy of orthopedic surgeons site.

Your BMI comes to be at 28.1 which places you in the overweight category, perhaps you can try other modes of physical exercise later for your weight loss, if baseball is troubling you. You are still 19, and can comfortably come back to the normal weight with the right diet and exercise.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me. I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor