This question is regarding my father. Who has developed posterior

Dr. Parth Goswami

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: This question is regarding my father. Who has developed posterior cervical lymph nodes swelling for last 1 month. Doctor ordered some test like CBC, CHEST XRAY, TB TEST AND FNAC.
all the reports came normal except FNAC which says its Reactive Lymphandentitis. He has been on antibiotic Clavam 625 for 10 days. But swelling has not subsided... what could be the cause ? As m worried about some malignancy.
My father is 72 years old otherwise healthy.
Answered by Dr. Parth Goswami 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can investigate further with lymph node biopsy to rule out malignancy

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the 'Ask A Doctor service'.
I have reviewed your query and below is my opinion regarding your case.

Your FNAC report suggest reactive lymphedenitis. It is non specific diagnosis and underlying cause for that should be searched. Moreover you are having persistent swelling in neck region since one month.
So to rule out exact cause and to rule out any doubt of malignancy I suggest you investigate with biopsy and sent it for histopathology examination.

If histopathology report normal than nothing to worry and no further work up needed.

Hope this provided information will be beneficial to you.

I would be happy to help you further if needed.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy