Tests showed trace aortic regurgitation, aortic root dilation at sinus of valsalva. Is this related to bulimia?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was bulimic off and on for around 6 years from 38 to 44 . I'm now 46 and the dr noted after cardio tests that I have trace aortic regurgitation, aortic root dilation at the sinus of valsalva only 38mm (rest of aort is normal) and trace mitral regurgitation. I'm 150 lbs and 5.9 inches in height. I run marathons, do bikram yoga, resistance training and have body massages frequently. Can Any of these conditions be related to my bulimia?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: No. Bulimia will not have caused any heart problem Detailed Answer: Hi, Bulimia will not have caused any of your heart problems. The valve changes are only minor. It appears that you lead an active lifestyle. You should carry on with your exercise regimen. I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB. FRCA