Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Testosterone level is of 4.2 nmol/l. What does this mean?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10196 Questions
I have a test done for my testosterone levels and result came up as 4.2 nmol/l (11.5-32.0).
What does this mean? and what can I do to get my test levels back to normal?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A testosterone level of of 4.2 nmol/l would be considered low.The normal general range is 9 to 32.
Low testosterone can occur for a number of reasons including: injury to the testes, slow development of the testes,problems with a gland in the brain called the pituitary gland which produces a hormone that influences reproductive function, severe chronic illnesses, liver or kidney disease,chronic alcohol use ,infection,diabetes,obesity.
You may or may not be experiencing symptoms related to the low levels- some men may have low sex drive, depression, erectile dysfunction, fertility issues,breast enlargement.

It is easily treated with testosterone replacement therapy which can be given in different forms.It can be given as a skin patch ,gel, injection or implant.
Men respond differently to it, some have a quick response, in others it more be delayed, some have an obvious change while it is subtle in others.It is thought to be generally safe.
You may want to consider speaking to an endocrinologist about treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Testosterone level is of 4.2 nmol/l. What does this mean? 12 hours later
Endocrinologist..? Can u refer me to any in mind?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 hours later

I can give you a website which lists the doctors in australia and would provide you with an endocrinologist in your area.It will ask you for your post code,state and radius around post code.The name of the site is australian health directory and the web site is WWW.WWWW.WW au

After you get the names from the site, you may want to consider speaking to your GP to find out if they have any preferences, he or she will likely have been in contact with some of them before and will know from personal experience who has the best reputation.
I don't want to refer you just based on the site, personal knowledge of the person would be best

All the best, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor