Testicle pain, sore groin muscles, no swelling. Difficulty walking. Afraid of testicle cancer

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Testicle Problems
Question: Hello.

I've been feeling a pain into my right testicle for about 2 weeks now. They appeared after 3 days of rather intense (for me that is) walks with a baby stroller (about 4 hours fast walk pr. day in 3 days). I've checked out my testicles the last years and I know how they should feel - there is no change in texture, size or anything else. The testicle itself is not sore at all, but the pain seems to go down into it - without actually stemming from it. I've felt very sore in the muscles going into the groin-area (abbductors, maybe?) and also on the front side where the thigh becomes the stomach and the lower back, but all these symptoms started after the three days of walking. There is no swelling here either.

I went to my own doctor because I was afraid of testicular cancer and after a quick feel, he said that he was certain it wasn't cancer.

A thing I've noticed; it seems to become worse when I walk and I'm not actually sure where the pain is located; it is as if it becomes more irritated when I walk around. I know I feel it most in my testicle but since it's not sore at all (or swollen or red) I was thinking that it could come from somewere else.

I'm extremely afraid of cancer and everywhere I look, every symptom in the world could be testicle cancer.

Please help!

-XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 31 minutes later
Hi
As per your query,you developed pain after walking for 4 hrs a day for 3 days.It is a very sternuous exercise.
The testis is suspended with Spermatic cord which comes from abdomen into the scrotum through groin region.It has many muscle layers.So,they might have got involved with exercise .So,the pain in the scrotum is due to muscles involved in the layers of spermatic cord.
Testis will be enlarged in Testicular cancers.The sensation of pain is lost in testis cancers.As there is no enlargement of testis,no change in texture the cancer is ruled out.As testis is normal on palpation of it,the pain might be due to the cord layers pain which is just above the testis and holds it.
Sometimes, mild infection in the testis and epididymis will be painful eventhough there is no gross enlargement.
So,please go for a Colour doppler of the scrotum which clearly shows the Testis size,shape,texture,any lesion in the testis,blood supply to it and also about epididymis and spermatic cord.
The pain in the groin area is also due to musculo skeletal pain.
Please take antibiotic like Doxycycline,skeletal muscle relaxant along with anti inflammatory drug.
Hope i answered your query.
If you come back with Colour doppler report or if you have any queries, i will clarify further
Wish you good health.
Waiting for your response

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 minutes later
So cancer is definetly out? Thank you so much!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 8 minutes later
Hi
Yes,Cancer is excluded.
But,take a simple test like Colour doppler of the Scrotum which excludes Testis and epidydimis diseases.
If you can post me the report,i will explain it.
If you want to do exercise like walking,increase the distance and speed regularly,not suddenly.
Wish you good health

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 16 days later
Hello again.

So I've had the ultrasound and there was nothing wrong with my testicle or the lymph nodes around. He did say though, that I might have a small, inactive hernia but nothing to be worried about. So here is my question; I still have the pain but I have noticed that it gets much worse the day after sexual activity and then slowly gets better if I'm totally sexual inactive. The pain is still centered around the testicle (without it being sore at all) and also a funny achy feeling in my lower right abdomen around and just behind the hip-bone - as if something just behind or connected to the hipp is not well. What could this be? Is it normal for it to last this long?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 6 hours later
Hi
Nice to hear that Testicular cancer is excluded.
One type of hernia,Indirect inguinal hernia comes from deep inguinal ring which is few centimetres medial to the anterior superior iliac spine(part of hip bone).The hernial sac will enter the scrotum from the groin.It carries omental fat or intestine with it.So,When you strain during sexual activity this hernia will become active and may lead to pain in the scrotum and lower abdomen.The muscles surrounding the spermatic cord which suspend the testis also get involved and may lead to pain.
But,hernia does not respond to any medicines.
Surgery has to be done.
Please get it operated and get relieved of pain.
Wish you good health

Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Okay, so one thing I would like to ask; I can especially feel the activity near or behind the hip when just finishing dinner or passing gas/when passing stool. It feels like small bubbles just besides the hip-bone and if I hold my hand there, it feels like small bubbles in the intestine going just next to or behind the hip. Could this be colon cancer or is that the hernia? I'm really afraid of cancer.

Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Hi
Due to hernia,the intestine will be coming from abdomen into the groin .So,you will be hearing gurgling sounds and if you touch the area,you can feel the movement of the bowel like bubbles.It is typical of hernia.
Do not worry.
Get it operated.
It is simple surgery.
There is no chance of Colon cancer.
Wish you good health
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 26 hours later
Hello again. So my doctor says operation is out because the hernia is not active and not through the "wall".

I am still worried about cancer though; I don't know why but I feel like it's something serious even though everybody says it's not. Is there any chance that testicle pain and a strange achy-like feeling in the right side just around the hip-bone all along the ridge is any form of cancer? Kidney, intestine or maybe liver cancer? It feels like something is pushing out from my stomach and I can't shake the feeling that it's a tumor growing.

Thank you for your patience; I will rate you A+!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 10 hours later
Hi
Though hernia is small,get it operated as it may become big and cause complications.
No chance of cancer.
If you are suspicious of cancer,get CT scan of abdomen.
Wish you good health
Follow up: Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 13 hours later
Hello again.

So today I went to my doctor, because my side hurts a bit more. He sent me to get checked at a hospital and they said they couldn't feel a hernia coming out but they wanted to do a ct-scan to see what was going on. Is this because they suspect something serious? I mean; is the only reason for the scan, that they think it's something really troublesome?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 15 minutes later
Hi
Small hernias cannot be detected easily.
In case of groin hernia,sometimes there will be visible swelling near the groin if you cough.
Sometimes,the hernial sac is very thin and it cannot be detected by examination.
Before CT scan,i advise you to go for an Ultrasound abdomen and Scrotum and ask the radiologist to check for Inguinal hernia after coughing.He can also detect any suspicious lesion in the abdomen.
I think CT scan has been asked routinely.
There is nothing serious.
Do not worry
Go for an Ultrasound abdomen and scrotum initially.If there is any suspicious disease found,then you can go for CT scan abdomen.
But CT scan is superior to Ultrasound.
If you come back if any of the reports,i will clarify further
Nothing to worry
Wish you good health
So you are sure that it is completely normal and not a sign that they suspect cancer? I have free healthcare, so I don't know about the ultrasound.

I just feel like; if they ordered a ct (in 2 or 3 weeks) it is because they suspect something really serious. I don't feel sick or otherwise in pain but I feel extremly anxious!
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 9 hours later
Hi
I am 100% sure that you will not have cancer.
They have ordered CT scan as part of routine investigation.
If you have a chance,ask for ultrasound abdomen first.
If it is not possible,go for CT scan as it is more superior than ultrasound.
Nothing to worry
Your CT will report as NORMAL.
Any way,if you come back with the CT report,i will clarify further.
Please relax.
Practise yoga and meditation.
Wish you good health