Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Testicle pain, discomfort in groin when I bend, irritation at tip of penis, rashes on glans, taken medication for balanitis. Could this be STI or normal infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
Hi... I have been having mild intermittent pain in my testicle for a few weeks now. I visited a Urologist and he took a ultrasound scan, blood test and urine test. He checked the results and said I've nothing to worry about. For two weeks since then, I had no problems. Then it started again. I would get this pain only 4-5 times a day and a discomfort in groin area when I bend down.

By now, I got irritation at the tip my penis and foreskin. A few very very tiny rashes appeared on the glans. I checked with a local GP, he said it is balanitis and prescribed few pills. I started taking those pills for a few days and all the symptoms vanished for a week.

Now, it slowly started again, the pain is testicle is very rare and the discomfort in groin area when i bend down has considerably reduced. Now for the last three days I'm having mild penile pain.

I took a urine test yesterday and report read like 0-1 pus cell and 0-1 epithelial cell. I've had oral sex six months prior. Could this be STI or normal infection? Pls clarify

I've been having mild penile pain for 3 days now. I took a urine test yesterday, the report said 0-1 pus cell/hpf and 0-1 epithelial cell/hpf. Does that mean I have STI or not? please clarify
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
I understand your query and concern.
Urine can have pus cells upto 3 per high power field and the epi cells ALSO appears within normal range.
The penile rash if it appeared after 6 months is unlikely STI, as these lesions appear within a few days or weeks after contact, if it is STI.
It would be wise to see the urologist during the pain episode of testis, to look for twisted testis.
Hope I answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Testicle pain, discomfort in groin when I bend, irritation at tip of penis, rashes on glans, taken medication for balanitis. Could this be STI or normal infection? 11 hours later

Thanks a lot for the quick response Doc.

I started worrying, since my penile pain started 3 days back. Thats when I started thinking it could be a STI, given the very tiny rashes that appeared two weeks back.

I was also thinking testicle pain could be due some twist or varicocele. But shouldn't that have been diagnosed in the scrotal ultrascan, I had. Its been a almost 2 months now since the ultrascan.

Confused, since I've been taking antibiotics that the local GP prescribed for the foreskin & mild penile tip irritation, the testicular pain has very drastically reduced. And the discomfort in groin area has reduced considerably too.

Let me describe the testicular pain. Its like a mild pin prick, its there for a second or two and its okay after that. First I used to get like 1-2 of these in an hour. After the pills, it reduced to 1-2 in day sometimes none at all.

So my questions are:
1. Could the reason for my testicular pain/discomfort could be physiological and not infection?
2. If I had STI, my urine routine would show more pus cells?
3. what could be the reason for the penile pain?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later
I understand your worry.
I have seen many pts with testicular pain with no identifiable cause.
Yours, the way u describe, seems to be the same.
Testis Infection causes swelling, pain and u may have fever. IF these are not there, u may consider physiological.
If the pain is intolerable, it is twist or torsion.
If the pain is more on standing posture and relieved with scrotal support, it is varicocele.
STI need to be evaluated with special tests and urine is not the one used to diagnose.
Penile pain is a vague entity and if there is no swelling or nodule, there is no need to worry.
Hope i am clearer now.

Dr GS, urologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor