Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Testicle pain. Not cured by medicine. Suspected to have prostatitis. How to treat this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
In October I started feeling pain in my right testicle and when to my Physician and he said I had some sort of infection. He gave my Keflex for 14 days then Cipro for 14 days. I was still having a lot of pain in my testicle even though the infection was gone and then my lower back was hurting too. I decided to go to the Urologist and he said i had prostatitis. He prescribed me Flomax and Neurontin. The flowmax was giving me to many side effects so I discontinued that and am only taking Neurontin and a prostate supplement. Now i have a little bit of testicle pain ( kind of like a tingling or burn like feeling) and lower back pain and somewhat trouble peeing. Im starting to think that my prostatitis is related to stress/anxiety because I have had a rough past couple of months and when I went on a Caribbean cruise two weeks ago i had no symptoms at all. I kind of have noticed myself tensing up my muscles in situations that make me anxious and I do see a therapist to talk about my anxieties and OCD. So i don't really know what i should do to treat the prostatitis, should i do a biofeedback to see how my muscles tense up and to try to avoid them tensing up?
In addition to that, I have not had any sex with anyone for the past 7 months and yesterday I decided to hook up with a random girl. We had mutual oral sex for a long time and i would say she has had a lot of partners in her life. i'm really concerned because i didn't used any kind of protection when having the oral sex. In addition to that, i also had a sore throat while i was performing oral to her so i'm thinking i was probably more prone to getting STD because of my sore throat. So what things should i be worried about in terms of STDs? how Long should I wait to get tested?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
All your symptoms suggest that you could be having not necessarily prostatitis but one of it's variants - something like chronic pelvic pain syndrome or a non-bacterial variant.
You probably could get benefit from use of a drug called Aluzosin. It has a much more favourable side effect profile compared to Flomax, while belonging to the same class of drugs known as alpha-blockers.
Drugs like Baclofen might help relax the lower abdominal musculature, and indeed have proven useful.
Some might need antibiotics in proven cases of prostatitis, but need to take for a prolonged period like 2-3 months.
You also can try something called sitz baths- where you immerse your bottom in a bath of tepid water and learn to stay for 15-30 minutes everyday.
You also can learn to relax - try yoga or tai-chi. Stress is a big factor in producing symptoms, as you seem to have found out when you went for your cruise you were much better.
Take a diet consisting of salads, fresh fruits. Avoid high fat, oily foods. No spicy junk food. All this helps.
If someone can teach yo biofeedback techniques, fantastic.
You can wait for 8 weeks and then get checked if yo have STDs.
Hope I have been able to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Testicle pain. Not cured by medicine. Suspected to have prostatitis. How to treat this? 19 hours later
Thank you so much for the tips! I was just wondering what exactly is a sitz bath, and how I can prepair that in my bath tub.?
Also I'm really concerned that I got an std, I want to take PEP just to make sure I didn't contract anything. Where can I get prescribed this!

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 6 hours later
A sitz bath is where you prepare of wide basin of lukewarm water to an extent where only your bottom will be submerged if you sit in it. A normal bathtub should also be fine actually. The important thing is you should sit relaxed when you are in it.
An antiseptic solution can be added to the water if there is a history of infection. An easier solution would be add some baking soda.
I offhand am not aware of where you can get a test done in your part of the world for STD. the fact that you want to get tested is good, and I recommend you contact a nearby university with an attached teaching hospital where the entire battery of tests are likely to be available at a reasonable cost, and counselling also can be provided for those who need it.
Hope I have been able to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor