Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Tested negative for STD. Having painless spots on penis. How to get rid of them?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I just recently had an std test by blood work and urine test, and was all negative. I was wondering what these spots are? there is no pain or discomfort. I have heard hair or sweat glands that are clogged. is there any way to get rid of them? ointment? what are these? any health concerns?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
These look like Fordyce's spots which  are small, painless, raised, pale, red or white spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the scrotum or shaft of the penis or on the labia. They are common in men and women of all ages. 
The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body. Men sometimes consult with a dermatologist because they are worried they may have a sexually transmitted disease (especially genital warts) or some form of cancer, but this is not the case.

Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser  or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern,however most doctors consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor