Tested negative for HIV and all other STIs. Having fever, muscle weakness and loss of weight. Advice

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I have tested negative for hiv,hbv,hbc, and all other sti's.but im having mild fever from next after the sex,its coming and going very light temperature,many things like pins and needles,muscle weekeness,loss of weight,sweatness,muscle twitching,dizziness happened during these 7 weeks. I tested positive for cmv and ebv ...still hhv6 ,verizella herpes virus results are pending.. my brain is not working properly,its like brain fog or something like that imbalance,abdominal pain,blurred vision,light and sound sensitivity..feeling im not owning my body.. I read herpes virus attack central nervous system and create all these things even for immune competent persons. Local doctor says no medicine for cmv and ebv but I know US doctors treating ebv and other herbes virus for immune competent. Please guide me do I need to leave like this and live half life or need to check further. As a neurolist you may know many cases like this,please advice any treatment available for these in india.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not suggestive of any severe central nervous system (CNS) involvement due to herpes simplex or any other viruses. These infections are called as encephalitis or meningitis, and you do not have symptoms of that. However, I agree that you have symptoms of a viral infection, which affects multiple systems in body, including central and peripheral nervous system. Symptoms such as headache, muscle pain, fatigue, tiredness, poor concentration, lethargy, etc are common after viral infections. I also agree that there are good treatments for herpes virus infections of the nervous system. The drug of choice is acyclovir. As of now, we can wait and watch. If your symptoms persist, then, further investigations would be needed. These would include MRI brain, electroencephalography (EEG) and lumbar puncture (CSF analysis). I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 45 minutes later
Thank you vm doctor for clarification.does encephalitis has any specific symptom?..im scared about that because I feel my brain has covered with something and very dull,no head aches,also blurred vision. Please suggest me some good neuro n virology hospitals in south india esp TN for check ups and treatment,one of my choice is NIMHANS Bangalore but it seems waiting time is somewhat high. I feel im moving toward CFS/MS.plz clarify why asked me to wait.cant we start antiviral therapy now and put on a check Is there any timeline to start therapy? 7 weeks completed now.. I feel my spleen area little bit emerged and paining.. Please advice me what to do now,i feel its better to admit in hospital,cant we put a check on this virus
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: It is important to make a confirmed diagnosis before starting treatment. Treatment can be started as soon as a diagnosis is made. If it is possible, we would be pleased to treat you at Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad. We have a good team, including specialists in Infectious Diseases, which can make a confirmed diagnosis and treatment plan. In Tamilnadu, CMC Vellore is a good place. At Bangalore, you can also visit Manipal Hospitals. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)