Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Tested negative for HIV after intercourse. Noticed white bumps on foreskin. Worried for herpes

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
I'm 20 years old, have one sex partner who was a virgin. The last time I had sex was 5 months ago, and I have tested (blood test) negative for hiv, and though I know that's conclusive I'm worried still. I recently noticed a bunch of 1 mm white bumps on the foreskin near the top of my penis and this got me really worried. I don't know if these are XXXXXXX gland or herpes/warts. If they are the latter though, this mean my hiv test may be wrong?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Let us start with the first part of your query, which is about HIV testing. As you have not mentioned how long after your sexual contact you have conducted the blood test for HIV, let me first provide you with some information on that.

The window period that exists between the time of contact with a HIV-infected person and the appearance of HIV antibodies in the individuals blood is about 30 days-3 months. Thus, it is best you get the tests conducted after 3 months. This in specific is the ELISA (highly sensitive test).

If you wish to learn about being infected earlier than this, a PCR HIV test is used to detect the antibodies by the second or third week after contact with an HIV-infected person.

Thus, I hope you have done as mentioned above, and only then concluded on a negative HIV report.

From your picture they do look like Tyson's glands to me. Which I am sure you already know are totally harmless.

If they are herpes warts (which I seriously doubt), your HIV testing would still have nothing to do with herpes. As a HIV test only helps detect antibodies of the HIV virus, not other sexually transmitted diseases (eg. herpes).

If you have conducted a HIV test as per my description earlier in this discussion, you are HIV free. But, that does not mean you cannot have any other sexually transmitted disease. Although, this is also highly unlikely from your picture and description.

In my opinion, for your satisfaction, you could go XXXXXXX a doctor and rule out all possibilities and be reassured that you are perfectly fine. Do not worry. I am sure you are a perfectly healthy man. From next time, be more careful during all sexual encounters.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tested negative for HIV after intercourse. Noticed white bumps on foreskin. Worried for herpes 12 hours later
I'm not so sure what kind of test I have, but i have a blood test at a public clinic 5 months after my sexual encounter. The nurse say a different method from ELISA is carried out to determine this and only if it turn out positive will ELISA be used to confirmed. But all in all, have tested twice at 2 months and 5 months after my exposure. So should that be conclusive?

Thanks I'm really paranoid these past few days when these white bumps (a bunch of them, about 10-15) appeared. I was so scared and anxious
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 minutes later
Hello once again.

Unsure about the kind of test you underwent, the best times to get tested are at 3 months and 6 months after contact with a HIV-infected person. But, I am sure your 2 and 5 months will also be sufficient.

If you wish, you could repeat another test and finally conclude the result. This will most probably be negative, so do not worry.

Now, to find the cause of these white bumps, visit a doctor and get these examined, these could be Tyson's glands or any other sexually transmitted disease or a simple bacterial or fungal disease.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. I am sure you will be fine, do remember to be careful from next time onwards. Okay?

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor