Tested negative for HIV 6 month ago. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I tested negative for HIV at 6 months 2 weeks. Should I still be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

I would like to know the name and type of the test you underwent. There are many tests both detecting antibodies and antigens to rule out HIV. Each test had different grade of sensitivity. Hence, please do mention the test you went through.

May I also know if there was a high risk exposure - if yes, when was it? (Has it been 6 months and 2 weeks since the exposure?)

Waiting for your reply,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
I do not know his HIV status. The test that I had done was called
HIV 1/2 EIA, WITH REFLEXES
HIV 1/2 EIA AB SCREEN
Yes, It was 6 months 2 weeks since possible exposure.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for the information.

With the above tests negative after a period of 6 months post-exposure, you need not be concerned.

The above mentioned tests identify antibodies against HIV in blood. It may take time for about 5 to 6 months (window period) for the antibodies to be formed against the virus. Test reports within this period would be unreliable, however results are accurate and reliable after 6 months.

Since it has been over 6 months post exposure and both the test produced a negative result, the chance that you could be infected is close to zero. So relax; there is no need to be worried about HIV.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.
If all your concerns are addressed, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later
I'm sorry that was the 1st test at 3 months. The test at 6 months was called
HIV 1/0/2 ABS-ICMA
HIV 1/0/2 ABS, Qual

Is this still acceptable?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Both the types of tests are almost similar. They identify the presence of antibodies in blood. Hence the results are reliable. A negative report ascertains that the chance that you could be infected is negligible.

Hope that helped.

Wish you good health.