Tested for HDL, LDL, triglycerides and total cholesterol. Are these finding normal?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My lipid panel is HDL 122, LDL 154,triglycerides are 63 and total cholesterol is 289...I am 45. 5'5 and 112 lbs. No health conditions at all...Is this a good lipid profile?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 32 minutes later

Could you recheck your lipid profile value or send a scanned copy of your report?
I think the HDL, triglyceride value is wrongly mentioned.

You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of the query page. Please utilize it, so that I can answer your query more specifically.

Awaiting your response.

Dr Aparna

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later
No...it is very accurate...I have always had HDL over 100 and it is now 122 and the triglycerides are 63
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 34 minutes later

As per your height & weight which you had mentioned your BMI is 18.6 , which means your weight is within normal range.

An HDL cholesterol level over 60 mg/dL is considered optimal. Therefore, if your HDL cholesterol level is over 100 mg/dL, you are in the high HDL cholesterol reading, considered to be protective against developing heart disease.

LDL value of less than 100 is considered as optimal. Your LDL is 154, slightly on higher side. LDL value can be kept in controlled, so don’t worry.

Triglyceride level less than 150 is considered normal, your levels are normal.

Total cholesterol less than 200 is desirable, your value is higher. However since your HDL level is high so total cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.3 which is good. Normal ratio should be less than 4. The total cholesterol/HDL ratio is more indicative of cardiovascular disease than TC (total cholesterol).

So don’t worry in all your report is ok. All you need is just to decrease LDL levels below 100. This can be done by
• Decrease saturated fat intake.
• Increase dietary fiber intake.
• Adequate aerobic exercise.

I hope I have answered your query, incase you have any further question I will be happy to help you.