Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Tested and found areas of bleeding on retina. What kind of test and treatments is required?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
bleeding retinaRecently at an eye doctor appointment the eye doctor noticed I had areas of bleeding on my retina. What kind of test, procedures, & treatments am I looking at going through to correct or control the bleeding on my retina?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.
Retinal hemorrhage is the abnormal bleeding of the blood vessels in the retina, the membrane in the back of the eye.

Diagnosis of retinopathy is performed by an opthalmologist, particularly one who specializes in disorders of the retina (retinal specialist). The opthalmologist may perform an opthalmoscopy.
For a detailed view of the blood vessels of the retina, a fluorescein angiography test might be performed, in which a florescent XXXXXXX is injected into the patient's bloodstream and photographs record the status of the blood vessels in the retina.

Laser surgery by an opthalmologist is a common treatment for retinal hemorrhages, in which a laser beam is used to remove or seal off damaged or bleeding blood vessels in the retina.  For retinal hemorrhages associated with diabetes and high blood pressure, treating the overall condition is required.
Along with above treatment nutrients are also given to strengthen and heal the injured blood vessels. Nutritional supplements include 
antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E
 vitamin B-complex including B6 and B12
Essential  fatty acids including omega-3 fatty acids

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tested and found areas of bleeding on retina. What kind of test and treatments is required? 33 hours later
I went to my eye doctor today & he did a fluorescein angiography. It showed that I had a bleed about an 1/8 of an inch long. He didn't do the laser. He asked me if I had any head trama recently that whould cause a bleed like that. I haven't. He is still baffled about why I have a bleef like that. He did notice that my pressures in my eyes were a little high though.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Retinal hemorrhages, especially mild ones not associated with chronic disease, will normally resorb without treatment. 
Your raised intraocular pressure would be treated with medicines only .
It is important to treat this raised eye pressure so as to avoid turning it into glaucoma.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor