Test showed low in chicken pox immunity. Is it possible to get chicken pox twice?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Can I get chicken pox twice? I had as a child; can I get as an adult 63 year old female?
New job says my blood draw shows I'm low in chicken pox immunity and they want me to get chicken pox vaccine now at 63 years old (female).
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The answer is Yes.
It is not common, but it is possible to get chickenpox, a second time.

You are still young. 60 is not at all old.
Chronological age is only a number.
As long as you work and you are productive, you are young.

It is better to get vaccinated – unless there is specific contra-indication.
It is very effective and quite safe.
There is an old saying –“Measles like love is worse with increasing age!” Is not better then to prevent it than to suffer the disease with all its complications at later age?

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck