Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

185 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Test showed low in chicken pox immunity. Is it possible to get chicken pox twice?

Answered by
Dr. Anantharamakrishnan


Practicing since :1966

Answered : 4506 Questions

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: Can I get chicken pox twice? I had as a child; can I get as an adult 63 year old female?
New job says my blood draw shows I'm low in chicken pox immunity and they want me to get chicken pox vaccine now at 63 years old (female).
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The answer is Yes.
It is not common, but it is possible to get chickenpox, a second time.

You are still young. 60 is not at all old.
Chronological age is only a number.
As long as you work and you are productive, you are young.

It is better to get vaccinated – unless there is specific contra-indication.
It is very effective and quite safe.
There is an old saying –“Measles like love is worse with increasing age!” Is not better then to prevent it than to suffer the disease with all its complications at later age?

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on Measles

doctor1 MD

Hi, my 9month old child is taking antibiotics as a part of his medication for cough and colds but he has a scheduled measles vaccination on the 2nd of february and that s also the last day of his intake of amoxicillin for 7days. Is is ok to proceed with the measles vaccine although he still has antibiotics on his system? Thanks.

doctor1 MD

I have a rash on my chest, back, neck, below the naval. It is not on my arms or legs. It is red and blotchy, and on both sides of my body. I have noticed when I take a shower or out in the sun, it becomes more inflamed. It really is not itchy, just sometimes. It is red, and some are raised above the skin. It is not full of pus. I have had it about 3 days. I am an adult woman over 50. When I was a girl, I had chicken pox, measles, and mumps. Thanks

doctor1 MD

I have had a fever that has now gone a little sore throat and now a rash appeared on my stomach, arms and legs it disappeared last night but returned after I had a shower this morning? Have been to the doctors and he is having me tested for measles ( which I have had as a child ) and German measles, I am not convinced it s either.

doctor1 MD

I lost a testicle when I was 12 due to measles. Now I am 29 and father of 2 children. There are no issues with my sex life. But I want to know whether I am prone to any other complication due to the oriechtomy at any point of my future. Is there anything I should be worried of?

doctor1 MD

Our daughter who is 23months old has got mmr vaaccine as per schedule. There is a drive going on from government for MR vaccine and we heard lot of stories where children are getting ill and vaccine is effecting a child's life. Is MR vaccine from...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have a great-granddaughter age 2 that is living with us. The other day +24 hours she had a temp of 102.9. The temp broke last night. In the last 2 hours she has come down with a rash all over her body. They are not raised. They are...

doctor1 MD

I recently went to donate plazma and was tested. They said i tested posirive for syphillis. I have not had sex for 3 years and my past relationship was with the same guy d For 13 years. I will get another blood test tomorrow but can this be a...