Test showed low cholesterol level. Should I be worried?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Cholesterol
Question: Hi doctor
Recently i have done routine check up in which my reading is as follows ]
CHOLESTEROL TOTALPHOTOMETRY 115mg%
CHOLESTEROL HDL - DIRECTPHOTOMETRY 42mg
TRIGLYCERIDESPHOTOMETRY 92mg
LDL CHOLESTEROLCALCULATED 53.96mg
VLDL CHOLESTEROLCALCULATED 18.44mg
TC/ HDL CHOLESTEROL RATIOCALCULATED 2.7
LDL / HDL RATIOCALCULATED 1.3
I Noticed that my total chlostrol level is very low is this low level of chlostrol is cause of concern. please review and advise.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
The cholesterol levels should be in lower range except for the protective cholesterol that is HDL which I see is in salutary range. So there is no matter of concern except that just have a re-look in 6months just to cover any laboratory error and just for a follow up.
Your diastolic BP is a bit on higher side, so you should add regular exercises in the routine. A good work up would be to do brisk walking for 3-5 km in 30minutes at least 5times per week. Keep a regular check up with the physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 minutes later
actual i had done test befor one year also and that time also similar reading was there
CHOLESTEROL TOTALPHOTOMETRY 118.7mg
CHOLESTEROL HDL - DIRECTPHOTOMETRY 38.1mg
TRIGLYCERIDESPHOTOMETRY 87.9mg
LDL CHOLESTEROLPHOTOMETRY 63.02mg
VLDL CHOLESTEROLCALCULATED 17.58mg
TC/ HDL CHOLESTEROL RATIOCALCULATED 3.12
LDL / HDL RATIOCALCULATED 1.65

i have raed on internet that lower toatl chlostrol is also cause of concern , can you advise on that.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The low cholesterol is also described to bear certain health risk but none has been proven till date. There are proposed risks like more probability of anxiety depression, cancers, and low birth weight babies in females but there is no proven relationship as of the current evidence.
If still you want to improve on it then you can increase the consumption of edible oils in diet by 50% of your current consumption and review.
Wish you a great health!