Test showed low HDL and blood traces in urine. Any solution?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Dear,

Have attached my medical test report and wanted help and guide for the following:

· How to improve my HDL ? 6 months back HDl was at 30 and now improved to 33. But have to cross 40 and better asap. Have started daily 30 min walk last 4 months.

· Some blood trace in Urine- what should be the reason and suggest me solution

· What diet to follow to lower my Chol/ HDL ratio ?

My age 42 and weight is 58kgs and height 155cm.

Expecting your support.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.
The main reason for your HDL to be low is not enoguh muscular exercise. Walking for 30 minutes is not an enough physical activity for you. Initial 20 minutes of walk goes in burning your sugar and then the fat start burning which should happen for another 20 to 25 minutes through a stable, moderate speed of 5 to 6 km/hour and then you will certainly see improvement in the HDL cholesterol.
Along with that low fat diet also helps lower the bad cholesterol, total cholesterol and triglycerides. This improves your cholesterol to HDL ratio. So in short, dietary precautions and physical execise will only make this difference.
Presence of even a single blood cell in urine of a male has to be investigated by a Urologist for possibility of infection, presence of obstruction, stone or any structural problems in the urethra. Please go and see a Urologist personally for this.
Your weight is slightly more for your height and as per Indian guidelines you are overweight for sure.
In general to reduce your Chol/HDL ratio and to control weight follow these guidelines:
- Avoid direct sugars
- Avoid fried snacks, bakery items
- Have ample of vegetable salads- at least 1 bowlful cut raw vegetables PER MEAL. This should include cucumber, tomato, carrot and vegetables which you can eat raw.
- Have dals or non-veg preparations tempered with minimum fat
- Snacks should contain healthy nuts like almonds or walnuts and a few dry fruits but no fruit juices
- Avoid soft drinks. If you consume alcohol then it adds to your calories, please consider cutting down on it to make big difference in bad cholesterol also.
- Simple Chapati and steamed rice or rotis made up of different whole grains should be your staple diet.
- Skimmed milk and milk items made up of skimmed milk are good to check on cholesterol
- Meat should be either fish or chicken. Egg white is always fine. No egg yellow at all.
I hope these guidelines help you. Walk for at least 45 minutes a day/ all seven days of a week. You will see big difference.
All the best.