Test showed leucosytes in urine, traces of blood and EBV positive at 41. Any suggestion?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: i did a medical test and it showed hat i have leucosytes in the urine, traces of blood and also EBV was positive at 41. The normal range is below 20
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

Trace leukocytes in the urine is usually nothing to worry about, provided the number of pus cells, sugar, nitrates are also negative. Traces of blood are a common finding in women just around the pre-menstrual or menstrual phase.
However, if urine dipstick was done as a follow up of previous consistent hematuria (blood in urine), then this must be discussed with your Physician or the Urologist.
Absence of fever or symptoms of EBV value of 41 (max normal range: 20) is probably a blood test you are referring to; and this is usually against the viral capsid antigen (VCA), so EBV VCA IgG positive means you had the EB virus infection in the past.
If the value is for IgM, it means you currently have the infection that presents with low-grade fever, swollen neck glands, fatigue etc. The acute infection is also known as infectious mononucleosis and shows up as 'atypical cells' on a blood smear.

Discuss with your treating doctor to know about the exact tests done.

I hope that was helpful. Let me know if you need further guidance

Best Wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad