Owl Image

Test showed high LDL and HDL level. Is it safe to take rosavas f 10mg?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012
Average

Question
Today, I am advised Rosavas F 10mg for 6 months. I am having HDL of 40, LDL of 185, VLDL of 51.40. My HDL ratio is 6.90 and LDL/HDL ratio is 4.63. I am having any medical condition and having this data from a regular checkup. Is it safe taking this medicine? Any side effect?
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

First of all, I am discussing your report.

The HDL is below the required level. It is a good lipid. That means it prevents development of any cardiac disease.

The LDL level is high. The LDL and HDL ratio is higher than normal. It indicates an increased chance of development of coronary artery disease.

Look, in case of coronary artery disease or cerebrovascular disease (caused by atherosclerosis), prevention has the highest importance.

The drug contains rosuvastatin and fenofibrate group of drug which are very helpful in lowering the levels of LDL, triglyceride, and other lipids. Thus, it prevents from atherosclerosis.

This drug has very few side effects like headache, dizziness, and hyperacidity. And one more thing is , you have to continue the drug for rest of your life. It is a safe drug.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Test showed high LDL and HDL level. Is it safe to take rosavas f 10mg? 1 hour later

I did not get you when you say "you have to continue the drug for rest of your life" .. Do i need to continue this drug even if my lipid shows good health?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 14 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, lipid profile is not like an infection, where you take the medicines for few days and then stop it. Here, after taking the medicine for 2 to 3 months, your lipid profile may come back to normal level. But, it is due to the medicine. If you stop the medicine, the levels will again raise to the abnormal values.

So, you have to take it for the rest of your life. Do not stop it without any strong reason.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.