Test showed gamma gt reading of 78. What should I do to lower it?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
I have just been given a Gamma GT reading of 78. I believe this is possibly an alcohol related test. But I am completely T total and always have been, neither have I ever smoked. I am 77 years old. What could be the cause? And what can I do to lower it ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your GGT level is only slightly elevated. In most cases such result does not indicates any pathology. GGT is an enzyme present in the liver cells mostly in the bile ducts cells. It gets high after alcohol abuse, spicy food intake, some medicines intake, gall stones, liver tumors.
I suggest you to have addition tests to make sure there is nothing to worry about. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, additional liver tests (AST,ALT, AP), amylase, bilirubin.
To make this test lower, you can take care of your liver with proper diet. Fatty foods and spicy foods should be avoided as well as medicines involving liver cells like pain killers etc.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.
I did forget to say that I had my Gall Bladder removed about 8 years ago! I'm fine re spicy foods as I eat very few, I very rarely take pain killers. I do not like fatty foods...... Boring arno I !!
I wondered if the multitude of eye drops I have had to use in the last 3 weeks could be a cause ?
I do drink quite a lot of decaffinated Coke, I wondered if there could be something in that that could cause the problem ?
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Hello!

Even if you had your gallbladder removed, there is always a possibility of stones creation in the bile ducts. The main reason of GGT increase is blockage of such ducts, but usually it gives GGT result around 600 to 1000. That is why I have asked you to perform abdominal ultrasound (during this test bile ducts can be measured and bile ducts stones can be visible) and AP(this should be also above the range if stones are present in the ducts).
Coke can cause such result, it contains bunch of unhealthy ingredients what in large dosages can cause liver problems. Moreover, decaffeinated can be much worst than regular as it is chemically modified with artificial sugars (aspartame).
By the way, large amounts of aspartame in regular dosages is proven to cause macular degeneration and glaucoma (aspartam is cumulating in the retina cells).
Eye drops are unlikely to cause liver tests increase as mostly they work locally and are only in minimal dosage absorbed to the blood.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
I would just like to say thanks you for all your help, I now understand what it is all about !! I will start by cutting out the decaffinated coke, as I do drink a lot. And am due another blood test in 10 days, so will start with that .
Again many thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Hello!

You are welcome.

Just please note that it takes from 3 weeks to 3 months for the liver cells to get regenerated. It can be no difference in this test performed in a 10 days.
But it is good to see if it does not rises. So any result same or lower will be fine.