Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Test showed borderline cholesterol, mildly high triglyceride. Can these be reduced by diet plan?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 141 Questions

My Triglycerides is 216.7, Cholestrol is 207.4, HDL is 50.1, LDL is 113.96. Is this a cause of concern? Can I reduce Triglycerides using pure diet change and if yes, what is the recommended diet to follow. My weight is 67 KG and height 5ft 7in. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 4 hours later
As per the report it clear that your cholesterol levels are borderline / OK, as Triglyceride is mildly high, HDL good, LDL ok, but mild correction is needed.

Best advice for this stage is diet control, as you asked. first of all start avoiding oil foods, non-vegetarian, vegetarian oily food like Samosa, chips, mixtures, etc.

Especially you have to take more vegetables, fruits.

Third most important is regular exercise, which improves TG level.

So, get ready to correct the TG level.
Repeat the test after 3 months....

Wish you healthy heart.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Test showed borderline cholesterol, mildly high triglyceride. Can these be reduced by diet plan? 24 hours later
Just a couple of more questions. Are the following items OK in moderate consumption.

1. Fish (not oil fried)
2. Red Wine

Thanks for your quick assistance.
Answered by Dr. (Prof.) Subroto Mandal 57 minutes later

Welcome again...

Fish can be consumed with moderation, as you said without oil fried. And some study says that red wine in moderation may be permitted.

But again I advice that its better to consume more vegetables and fruits and repeat your cholesterol after 3 months ...

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Wish you a healthy heart ...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor