Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Test showed HDL - 52, LDL - 145, Triglycerides - 309 and GGT - 154. Will it be safe to drink bear?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5759 Questions
I had a phsical for insurance...HDL was 52...LDL...145...Triglycerides...309....Bilinrum .7...ALT 44....AST 31...Alkinidine Phosphate 80....But the one that worries me is my GGT ...154...I am a huge footballl fan and my beer drinking goes up during the season...I know it is a guess(and I will not hold you to your opinion) but will the GGT or any others cause them not to write the insurance?
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your GGT is only slightly elevated. But your Triglycerides are very high. Such results should not affect your insurance. This test tells that your diet is not healthy and should be a trigger for changing your diet habits. Especially that your triglycerides do affect every vessel in your body and may result with heart attack and stroke. That is why, you should decrease fatty food and beer drinking (regular beer drinking can cause liver cirrhosis.
It is also advisable for you to have some tests performed as heart disease or liver disease can give no symptoms for a long time. You should have at least abdominal ultrasound and heart ECG performed.
For such high levels of triglycerides you should be prescribed with some statin by your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor