Test revealed to have high lipoprotein level. What is the treatment for same?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, Recent test carried out for my mom revealed the following: LIPOPROTEIN (LPA) - value in the test is 104.2 mg/dl Reference Range :- <30.0 mg/dl Request you to please explain what this high value means and what steps needs to be taken for rectification. Please explain in detail. Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 34 hours later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX 1. Indeed the lipoprotein (a) levels are higher than the prescribed range, however this factor has not established itself as an independent risk factor for coronary artery disease, beyond the estimation of standard lipid profile (as per ATP III guidelines on cholesterol control which are as yet the last ATP guidelines on issue ). The index case also has a favorable lipid profile with LDL cholesterol of 76 mg% and HDL cholesterol of 62 mg% and VLDL cholesterol of 14 mg%. Hence no treatment is warranted. 2. Some researchers stresses that if a patient has one risk factor for anginal heart disease or has high familial risk of premature anginal heart disease, LP (a) can be used as a another marker to lower LDL cholesterol but in given case LDL is already well controlled, hence no action is warranted. However I would like to know if the patient has diabetes?/ high blood pressure?/ exposure to Smoking?/ family history of anginal heart disease (age of relative at onset)/ or patient has history of any other cardiovascular disease? This will help me in elaborating further on issue. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 11 hours later
Hi However I would like to know if the patient has diabetes?/ high blood pressure?/ exposure to Smoking?/ family history of anginal heart disease (age of relative at onset)/ or patient has history of any other cardiovascular disease? This will help me in elaborating further on issue? She does not has diabetes as per the report, no BP, no family history of heart disease. Let me know are any effects since the test value is 3times more than the normal value.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see below Detailed Answer: Dear Sir/ Madam As I discussed previously that LP (a) was touted as one of the strong risk factors for future anginal heart disease by some studies. However other studies failed to show the risk beyond the usual lipid profile. Then our governing bodies (mainly american college of cardiology) through its documents and associated guidelines, refused to accept it as independent marker. Moreover in certain circumstances (as told in last answer) it may be used for risk assessment, but in given case, that too does not apply. Moreover the beneficial effects of lowering this entity are also not known. As per the current lipid profile no intervention is required. Neither any intervention is warranted for her raised LP (a) as the guidelines do not recognize it to be a risk factor independent of LDL levels. However she should continue a healthy life style including daily brisk walk (under prescription), low fat diet, optimal weight (body mass index ~23), avoiding sweets and fried items and relaxation exercise. These will help her in keeping a good cardiovascular health. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad