Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Test results showed low Vitamin B12 and vitamin D3. Having dyslipidemia. Taking Stator. Took albendazole. Should check homocysteine levels too?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
Dear sir/mam, myself dr XXXXXXX my HB remains little lower side .. 12 since last 2 yrs. . so I done some lab test .in that I found my vit b 12 and vit d3 levels low. what should I do for that ...treatment plan n if required further investigations otherwise I am 31 yrs. smokes occasionally n drinks socially I am having dyslipidemia ( high triglycerides levels for that I am taking stator -f tablet daily hs . n done lipid levels few times shows it is in normal range ) clinically I feel little tiredness, n occasional forgot full XXXXXXX ( forgot full XXXXXXX is since long of some small things n don't know whether it is linked with this or not) i also took a dose of albendazole i want to ask you these vit b 12 can only go by taking injections ? for how long if i have to take.can it go by taking oral medicines? should i do schilling test for intrinsic factor?should i do folic acid test too?should i do homocysteine levels too? what test should i do if required for malabsportion syndrome what about vit d 3 leves . will cholecalcirol sachets weekly will suffice n for how long should i take? seeing my vit d 3 levels .
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Injectable B12 has better outcome

Detailed Answer:

Injectable vit B 12 are superior for achieving normal sr B12 level as intestinal absorption as with oral medication is not there, so I will advise to take intramuscular injection alternate day at least 10 ,and then repeat blood test.
Vit B12 helps in nerve conduction so normal level will improve problem of forgetfulness and tiredness.

For vit D you can take cap Gen D3 60 k once in a week for 3 months.

If you are suspecting malabsorption syndrome then you can do test for Intrinsic factor, folic acid, TIBC. Homocystine level will come to normal once you take B12.

Smoking will affect your absorption process so better to stop it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor