Terrible feeling of sore throat, difficulty in swallowing and red bumps in the back of throat. What do you advise?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: When I was young I had many bouts with tonsiltis. I still have them. I am now 59 and have had many sore throats down through the years. 2 weeks ago I woke up with that terrible feeling of sore throat, difficult to swallow. Then for one week it moved to my sinus' and had a major sinus infection but I had an appetite. Now 2 weeks later I have no appetite and my swollen throat has red bumps in the back of my throat, is still a bit sore but my ears hurt,NO appetite and diaherra. I do not have insurance, I have been reading alot about this and it sounds like strep but I have had a low fever off and on.What do you think.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be strep or lingering sinus infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for sore throat. The most common are viral infection (common cold or flu),
(2) bacterial infection such as strep,
(3) post nasal drip- in some person with sinusitis, the mucus that drips at the back of the throat can cause pain
(4) GERD- in some person with severe reflux, sore throat can occur
(5) irritation due to smoke or other irritants in the environment

Strep throat and viral infection would both cause a fever but in the case of a viral infection the fever should only last a few days and should not continue for 2 weeks.
On the other hand in strep the fever is usually greater than 38c or 100 F.

Strep would normally cause small areas of pus at the back of the throat.By itself strep throat would not cause ear pain unless it is associated with infection or inflammation of other areas of the sinuses, nasal passages or ears.

The fact that your ears are hurting may indicate that your sinuses are still inflamed. IF they are and you are also experiencing a post nasal drip then this may be contributing to the mild soreness you are still experiencing in your throat.
The dripping of mucus would irritate the throat and cause redness.

Sinus infection can also cause a fever and loss of appetite.The diarrhoea may occur as a result of sinus drainage.

IF it is an infection whether sinus or strep, antibiotics are needed to treat it.

Most need to be taken for 7 days though azithromycin can be taken for 3 days.

In addition the use of a decongestant may relieve any pressure in the ears. This would be available over the counter.This can be found in combination with an antihistamine which would also help relieve some of your symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions