Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Terrible back pain. Suggest treatment

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10401 Questions
Due to immense driving, I have terrible back pains. I am afraid if I get a slip disc.
This problem I am facing last 1 year.
I sometimes do exercise. No i am not allergic to any medicine
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
The pains are not likely to be due to a slip disc.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems your extensive traveling is taking a toll on your back. The back pain after extensive traveling which becomes alright after taking rest is likely to be due to a positional anomaly or a mechanical back pain. It happens due to bad posture while traveling, at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well. This is not likely to be related to a slipped disc.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a MRI of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician.

The back strengthening exercises are the only long term insurance you have from similar pains in future. Things you should avoid are long distance traveling, sitting in a particular position for long time(do regular stretching in hourly intervals), avoid forward bending and lifting heavy objects, and foremost do not self medicate.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor