Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Tenderness under belly button, repeated yeast infections. Had a post-partum tubal ligation after child birth. Are these related?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I had a post-partum tubal ligation in August after delivering a 10lb baby boy vaginally. I'm not sure if my current symptoms are related, or which kind of doctor I may need to see. I have some tenderness (low amount of pain) just under my belly button and have been having repetitive yeast infections. Could this be related ? If so what should i do? Thanks for your input.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Any kind of pelvic surgery can cause pelvic inflammatory disease or PID. PID can cause lower abdominal discomfort and pain. However, a UTI) can also cause this type of pain. Colitis or constipation can also cause pain in the lower abdomen.

For this, I would suggest that you get a per- vaginum (PV) examination and ultrasound done. The presence of free fluid on ultrasound is strongly suggestive of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Additionally, a urine analysis and vaginal smear also needs to be done.
The treatment of PID involves taking antibiotics under your doctor's guidance.

For the repeated yeast infections, I would suggest the following:
•     It can be cured with oral flucanozole and vaginal pessaries containing miconazole
•     Nystatin ointment can also be used locally
•     Maintain the pH of vagina and keep the area dry
•     Take probiotics for approximately two months to get completely rid of it
•     Avoid swimming

I hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.
Any further query is most welcome
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor