Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
122 Doctors are Online

Tenderness in right upper stomach just below rib cage. What caused this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
my right upper stomach just below the rib cage feels always tender for almost two months now?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the right upper abdomen just below the ribs along with tenderness is suggestive of a few conditions such as

1. Peptic ulcers/gastritis - Hot and spicy food can induce gastritis / ulcers.
2. Liver or gall bladder inflammation or gall bladder calculi.
3. Right renal pathology- infection or calculi.
It is advisable that you get some tests done such as
a) Liver function tests done to detect any related pathology like fatty liver.
b) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
c) Ultrasound examination will also be helpful in detecting any hepatic pathology and will rule out other probable causes like renal disease or gall bladder calculus.

You may discuss about these options with your primary doctor. Perhaps consulting a 'gastroenterologist' might also be useful and you may get the above tests under their guidance. Some medications such as antacids, proton pump inhibitors and liver supportive drugs will help in treating the problem and preventing further damage.

I hope this answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor