Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Tender knot on the knee after a fall. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I fell on my knee 2 months ago. There is a knot and one area very tender to touch. Do I need to do anything about it?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 56 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

A fall on knee joint can cause traumatic injury to the joint itself, or bones, ligaments and muscle tendon encircling it.

The fact that there is tenderness even after two months, and that there is an elevated area ( knot ) points out that there is definitely an injury either to bone causing fracture or more likely a soft tissue tear or injury.

I assume that you have no difficulty in walking or other movements. Still persistent tenderness, warrants further investigation and treatment.

I would advise you get an x-ray done and consult your orthopaedic surgeon.

The x-ray will rule out any bony or joint injury and the doctor can examine your knee to confirm the soft tissue injury whether ligament or muscle or bursitis. If needed he may order relevant tests like MRI of knee joint and come to the exact diagnosis and start treatment. The treatment would be most likely medications and physiotherapy, surgery being reserved only for severe cases.

Please do not worry as it doesn't seem worrisome as of now, and may resolve with apropriate treatment. At the same time please do not delay the treatment further as already two months have passed.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor