Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Temper tantrums when angry, nose bleeding. Is this related or serious?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
my son has these temper tantrums when hes angry and cries really hard and screams. when he does this he gets a nose bleed. why is this? is it serious? should i get him help?
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Nosebleeds can commonly occur in children in dry weather conditions and on any trigger that increases the blood circulation and pressure in the nose like direct sun exposure , upper respiratory infections , violent screaming and crying etc .
However if such nosebleeds are frequent then they can also indicate underlying serious illness like a bleeding disorder or disorders of the nasal mucosa ( allergy, hyperteophy, eczema etc)
First of all let me tell you that whatever stimulant medication your child is on, for his ADHD should be continued as per the doctors prescription and should never be abruptly stopped as this could be a trigger for his emotional outbursts and tantrums .
Even normal children have such tantrums but if they are disrupting his daily activities and causing physical distress like violent crying and nosebleeds then it's better to consult a pediatrician for a complete evaluation and management of the problem.
Alternatively you can first consult his mother regarding the medications he is on and watch for resolution of the tantrums on resuming the medication.
Regarding the nosebleed, of it's minor , just for a minute, self limiting and doesn't occur spontaneously without reason then it is not worrisome in itself and doesn't warrant any treatment .
Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Temper tantrums when angry, nose bleeding. Is this related or serious? 5 minutes later
he only has the nose bleeds when he has these fits. and its every time he has these fits. is this still ok?? as far as his mother we are in the middle of a custody battle and she could care less about the children. all she wants is the money that they could provide her as she doesnt work. we dont have medicaid on them she does and will not allow us access to it. we cant take him to our own doctor as we dont have medicaid. she is the one that took him to be diagnosed and she lies about everything. part of his problem is the fact that hes tossed back and forth between his parents. im worried about him but there is nothing i can do as im not his legal parent
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Thanks for your follow up.
I appreciate your concern and efforts for the child .
However considering if he has more than one Temper tantrums a day and a nosebleed with it , it's important that the child be evaluated by a doctor . Please remember that chronic nosebleeds even if mild may cause blood loss and anemia in the child . This is not likely if the episodes are once in a week or month but if almost daily then there is a risk , so better to get it treated. If not possible for you then the biological mother must take that responsibility for the well being of the child .
The doctor can after thorough examination of his nose , throat , cardiovascular system confirm the exact cause and start appropriate treatment like antiallergics, nasal sprays containing vasoconstrictor or steroidal medications .If the problem is an underlying serious blood pressure or hematologic problem then he can advise further investigations and management .
Meanwhile you can just make sure that he has plenty of water to keep him well hydrated and you can put saline nasal drops thrice daily to keep the nose from drying and crusting which might help .
Also even if there were no nosebleeds it is important for the emotional well being of this child to see a child psychologist or therapist for his ADHD and related behaviour problems . It's sad to know that the biological mother of the child is not able to understand this , however I assume and appreciate that you will do your best to help out the child .
Wishing you all the best.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer of you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor