Tell me, I had an echo of my heart two

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Tell me, I had an echo of my heart two weeks ago as a follow-up. I have - diagnosed in XXXXXXX 2018, very mild aortic stenosis. I actually saw the calcification on the echo monitor. Tell me about calcification please. What does the motion of the heart do to it??
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that the presence of calcium in thw arteries like aorta and other small arteries is quite a common finding due to aging and chronic atherosclerotic process.

Calcium is present in the circulating blood and it may deposit in the arterial wall especially when atherosclerosis or inflammation is present.

The mild aortic stenosis is not a concerning findings, without any clinical significance. Follow up with cardiac ultrasound every 6-12 months is necessary to investigate for its possible progression.

I would just recommend checking calcium and vitamin D plasma levels in order to exclude possible deficiency which can contribute in the calcium metabolism and arterial wall calcifications.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr.Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T