Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Teenager diagnosed with mild ADD. How can we get proper diagnosis? Can I get a health care professional?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1015 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I have a 14 years old son who has been dignosed with a mild form of ADD based on some Q&A type tests. (My wife and I were asked to fill out some questionnares and my son was was asked to solve some problems).

I would like to get a proper diagnosis done (e.g. based on QEEG). Could you please provide me with the contact details of some doctors/hospitals specializing in ADHD treatment?
To reiterate, I do NOT want to go to a generic Psycchologist or Psychiatrist - I am looking for a health care professional specilizing in ADHD treatment.

Please feel free to call me on my cell - 0000.


Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

A regular pediatrician or a developmental pediatrician can generally manage a child with relatively mild ADHD.

Both neurologists and psychiatrists diagnose and treat children with ADHD.

A psychiatrist might be a particularly good option for a child with comorbid problems involving oppositional behavior, anxiety, or mood.

A neurologist might be the right choice for a child with comorbid tics, Tourette’s syndrome, or a specific neurological problem (e.g., seizures).

Depending on the associated symptoms he has you can choose the above mentioned specialist in your locality or near by place.

Usually all of them will follow a similar protocol. I advice you to follow one doctor than switching from one to other.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Teenager diagnosed with mild ADD. How can we get proper diagnosis? Can I get a health care professional? 20 minutes later

Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately it does not answer my basic questions.

1.     I am looking for a specific Doctor/Hospital in Bangalore that specializes in ADHD treatment.
2.     I need a recommendation for a more objective diagnosis e.g. QEEG.

My son has been under pediatric care for last two years but they have been unable to manage his symptoms. While his ADD is termed as mild there is a serious issue with his attention that is impacting his academic performance seriously.
This is the reason I want to start from the scratch and get a more objective diagnosis first and then look at treatment.


Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 13 hours later

I do understand your concern but usually ADHD is handled either by the pediatrician, psychiatrist or the neurologist. A specialist only in ADHD in medicine is not there.

For EEG, in Bangalore you can visit any neurodiagnostic center like parijma neurodiagnostic center, XXXXXXX garden.

It will be better if you speak with the consulting pediatrician or psychiatrist before taking the next step.

For the symptoms to reduce apart from the medicines, the parents should also actively participate in treatment regime like maintaining a daily schedule, keeping distractions to a minimum, setting small and reasonable goals, rewarding positive behavior.

I hope the information i have provided will be helpful.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Child Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor