Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

131 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Tarlov cysts found in the sacral canal through MRI. Suffering from crohn's diease. What do you recommend?

Answered by
Dr. Jawahar Ticku


Practicing since :1979

Answered : 431 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Question: My doctor just told me that my MRI showed that I have multiple Tarlov cysts in the sacral canal ranging in size up to a little more than 1cm in diameter. The MRI also showed that I have Haemangiolipoma's in the body of LV2 & LV3. Also LV1 and SV1 show mild dehydration. I am 58 healthy female with long term symptoms of Right iliac fossa pain radiating into my sacro iliac region recently with pain down my right leg and pain wakes me at night sometimes like a tooth ache, sometimes burning aching sensation. My Dr has never heard of these Tarlov cyst. He has ordered me a CT guided infiltration right L5 and S1 to help with pain symtoms. By the way I have an old crushed fracture of my L5, previous xray 5yrs ago did not show a fracture. I have no history of injury. Bone scan and density normal limits. What advise can you give me. I did have Crohns Disease which I have been in remission for last 10yrs, regular colonoscopies confirm remission. I am normal wt 58kgs height 166cm, active person. What are your thoughts
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
These are benign problems and do not need any active treatment. Symptomatic pain management is indicated. If with conservative management there is no relief radio-frequency ablation may be discussed with your doctor which will shrink these lesions,and you will get symptomatic relief. If it is still a problem radio surgery may be the option . As your doctor has advised you CT guided infiltration of anaesthetic or sclelorosing agent, it may the initial choice but in my opinion the relief may not be long lasting
.Regarding crohns disease you do not have to worry as there is no association of the same with your present problem.
your problem might be getting aggravated due to hypocalcaemia causing the softening of bones and leading to bony tenderness and pain on pressure.Please start taking calcium with Vit. D if not already having it and you will get drastic relief.
i wish you good luck.
Dr. Ticku
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Colonoscopy

doctor1 MD

I moved to Austin in summer of 09, when I moved back home I had started noticing that I was having stomach problems. No matter what I ate it gave me diarrhea within the hour. I saw a GI specialist, took gave them a stoll sample, had a colonoscopy done, and put on different diet to see if anything would work. No of which did work. He thought maybe I had gotten a parasite from the lake in Ausitn, so I was put on a 10 day medicine trying to get rid of it. This was back in April of 10. After taking the medicine It seemed to be working, all in the past month or two my stomach has been getting upset again, not as bad as it was then, but my stoll s arent hard like they should be and i m pooping or haivng diarrhea 3-4 times a day. Do you think it was ever a parasite or maybe something was over looked

doctor1 MD

i have been suffering from left sided pain in my abdomen since 2001.first it was a simple uti which got treated by a cephalosporin .then again in 2003 i got this pain but this time all the urine tests were negative.ivp and us normal.during this time twice i passed red blood like a flowing stream during bowel blood after that till 2009.but pain and discomfort continued.pain is mostly 2006 father was diagnosed with polyps so in 2009 i underwent i wasnt sedated i saw an area of redness(inflammation) in my rectum .the rest of colon was normal looking the doctor said the mucosa was atrophic in rectum with loss of light reflex and obscure vascular pattern he took 1 biopsy from rectum and 1 from normal looking colon. in biopsy report there was mild to moderate non specific colitis in rectum and mild non specific colitis in the other sample.there was no atypia or cryptitis or any other abnormality.he also said i had grade 3 piles three of them.after the colonoscopy i bled during bm for about a month but this time the blood was smeared over the stool . also once i got black tarry stool.i took mesacol for 2 months only. then this year i spotted blood just once.last week i underwent another colonoscopy with a different dr who was highly recommended this time i was sedated and the doctor said he did not find anything abnormal no inflammation no piles did not even take biopsy.i had taken mesacol for a week before the colonoscopy.he said i have ibs but couldnt give me any reason for blood in my stool .i have also undewent 3 upper gi endoscopies without biopsy everything was normal but there is still heaviness and distention of my abdomen and now it has spread to my right side as well . i have frequent bouts of constipation and shiny sticky stools maybe due to mucus and gas all the time.plz tell me is it ibs or ibd .is there some blood test to confirm the diagnosis.

doctor1 MD

Hi, i am writing on behalf of a friend. He had been diagnosed with having IBS when he was 13, without a colonoscopy, and now he is 25. He has been having abdominal pain and interchanges of diarrhea and constipation all these years but a month ago it suddenly got really worse (after having some fish, but even if it was bad, he had never experienced such excruciating pain again), as in one day he started to ache so much he couldn't get up off the floor. It was like stabbing and ripping him apart. He went to the hospital and had blood work done and an X-ray and they said it was normal but suggested a colonoscopy but he didn't go through with it. Ever since he has been having really severe abdominal pain and interchanges of diarrhea and constipation and he has been to several doctors, one prescribing him with amitriptyline and antibiotics for the intestine, and another after that giving him mebeverine hydrochloride alone. He took the antibiotics and amitriptyline for almost a month and it helped him a bit but in the evening he would none the less have the return of the severe pain in his entire abdomen, sometimes centering on the left upper side of it. Then he went to the other doctor who perscribed mebeverine hydrochloride, telling him it would instantly help, without that being the case when he tried it. He had extensive blood work done and everything was normal, no inflammation or anemia, and the doctor said he didn't need anything else and should just take the mebeverine. But he is still in pain and i was wondering if it could be something else with these symptoms. Should he have a colonoscopy or some other less painful test? He also has Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease.

doctor1 MD

I am a 70 year old female. I have had IBS most of my life, but one year ago I began to be severely constipated and only having a bowel movement every seven days and only then because I have had to resort to using a laxative. I did add more fibre to my diet and am trying to drink more water. The only blood I have noticed seems to be on the outside of the stool, therefore, I think it s only because of the colon lining being irritated. I have abdominal pain everyday, which is sometimes generalized, but most recently the pain in my left lower quadrant has become quite intense. In the past month I started taking ClearLax , which is similar to Restoralax and have increased fibre and drinking more prune juice, hence, bowel movements are more frequent and softer. Having said that the pain still persists. I also experience what would seem like liver pain which seems to be in the entire liver area and is quite intense sometimes. An xray last year showed a fatty liver. I was referred to a general surgeon in Dec. 2013, and he did not examine me at the time, but booked me for a colonoscopy which I can t get an appt. for until June. He also has booked me for an MRI, but the wait time for that is extremely long, could be a year, if I m lucky. As another opinion, do you feel that this could possibly be something serious.

doctor1 MD

I have a constriction in the descending colon cancer or scar tissue due to inflammation?

doctor1 MD

i was in renal and liver failure due large vol blood loss surgery 8 days before rec 2 abc transfusion all organs compromised and prescribed hydrocortisone 10 egg day but i have a 50-50 shot to survive this med is effect kidneys and liver red blood...

doctor1 MD

Hi, Dr. My PCP put me on 5,000 units of vitamin D a few months ago due to severe fatigue every day. For a few days I took 1000 units of vit. D at bedtime also. Then I was feeling quite a bit better. However, my dr. Said Not to do the extra 1,000...