Taking zoloft and abilify for trichotillomania. Can I take HCG?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I take zolof and abilify for trichotillomania...can I take HCG?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 14 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
Before answering your query, I would appreciate if you can help me with some details about your illness:
1) You have selected the category mania. Do you have mood disorder as well which you would like to discuss?
2) How are keeping on zoloft and abilify?
3) Do you have any other medical illness?
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 minutes later
no...no mood disorders.....just trichotillomania, which I have had for 21 years..the zoloft and abilify are strickly taken for that reason...no depression at all..I also take crestor and zetia for cholestrol and blood pressure..
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 minutes later
Thanks for using health care magic for mentioning further details about your illness.
HCG is a hormone and there is no scientific proof mentioning its use for trichotillomania. Although some users of HCG injectable form have reported its benefit in OCD and other impulse control disorders, but then its no scientifically validated. More so HCG has some serious side-effects such as thromboembolism.
So "no" for HCG.
Valproate is a good option if you have not tried it.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.