Taking zincovit for zinc deficiency. Developing dry skin. How long it will take to get cured?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, this is XXXXXXX I have zinc deficiency, my age is 24. I have already consulted few doctors,they gave me some lotions because there are some white dots on my skin and they also gave me tablets like zincovit etc. So now iam serving 1 tablet and having syrup(zn 20) for two times a day. From past four to six months this dots happening to me and increasing day by day and my skin also became dry and there are some dots and dry on the finger nails. So how many days i have to use these medicines,doctors said , it was not serious but this white dots are increasing day by day and also a bit itching is there. So pls can you tell me the proper solution for this zinc problem?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 32 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Firstly I would like you to know the signs of zinc deficiency. It leads to weight loss, loss of appetite , poor wound healing, diarrhea, hair fall, rashes, dry skin, white spots on nail etc.
However these symptoms can occur without any zinc deficiency too. So other causes for your skin dots should also be ruled out.

I would also like to mention that zinc has an immunity modulating role so we as such add it as supplement along with other specific treatments in case of acne, dry skin or eczema, hair fall and white spots on skin or nails.

I would like to know if some tests were done to confirm zinc deficiency and what other medicines your doctor had prescribed for your concern. Also uploading an image of concerned areas would help me immensely.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 44 hours later
Well, I am answering your questions......
I dont know it's zinc deficiency or not, but doctor said that lack of zinc?
Well i lost 5kgs because i dont eat vegetables, i will eat only non-veg and two or three types of vegetables. Actually iam from hyderabad so i came to chennai to work here, iam staying in chennai from 1year , after coming here i lost my weight upto 5kgs and i became weak due to lack of healthy food, this chennai food doesn't suits to me. First time iam staying in room with friends in my career, so i missed home made food, that is also the main reason for these kind of problems.
There is not much hairfall.
Yes my skin is dry skin.
And there are white spots on my stomach,hands,neck and near nails on fingers(I have uploaded the pics, once check it)
I am uploading the prescriptions,affected areas pics, once check it please.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for providing with the details.

Looking at the images, I can assure you that it is very unlikely that you might be having zinc deficiency. However I would advise you to improve your diet so that all your nutritional requirements are met. Take good amount of protein, carbohydrates, yogurt, fresh fruits, salads in your diet.

Now coming back to the diagnosis, I agree with your doctor that it might be lichen nitidus (it has nothing to do with zinc). In this disease, you get elevated skin coloured or slightly hypo pigmented lesions over arms, chest, forearm, abdomen and genital area. These lesions are usually non itchy but sometimes may be itchy.

As such these lesions resolve spontaneously; but might take few months to year to resolve without treatment.
Treatment involves oral steroids or oral retinoids and topical steroids or tacrolimus ointment. All these might take a month to show response.
So I would advise you to stick to the treatment advised by your doctor as it would help you.

To treat dry skin, use a mild soap bar like cetaphil soap bar and use a medicated lotion or cream like emolene or venusia lotion. Apply the lotion immediately after bath for better results.

Hope that answers your query XXXXXXX It might take sometime for you to notice response but with certain skin ailments perseverance is required and you should seriously try to improve your diet.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
If there are more queries, feel free to write back. I would be happy to assist you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad