Taking zifi 200 mg, aciloc and nutrolin B. Widal test done. Is it safe to breastfeed?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Widal test results of my wife is given below:
SAL.Tyhi - O 1: 80
SAL. TYPHI- H 1:40
SAL.P. TYPHI-A 1:20
SALP.TYPHI-B 1:20
She is 28 years old and lactating 3 weeks old baby. Should we stop breast feeding or continue with. She is taking Zifi 200 mg and Aciloc and Nutrolin B. All the medicines twice a day. If fever persists takes Dolo 650.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 50 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

According to her blood test reports, her Widal test does not indicate she is having enteric fever ( typhoid).
She can continue taking Dolo 650 when she has fever.
There is no need to take Zifi.

While on Zifi, breastfeeding should not be done as the medicine gets secreted in the breast milk and can affect the baby.

So my advice is continue taking just Dolo 650.
If fever persists more than 5 days, tests may be done including a complete blood count and urine test.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 minutes later
Thanks for the brief reply.

My doctor as suggested for stopping lactating and continue Zifi 200 mg for 2 weeks alongwith other medicines i have listed except Dolo 650 which may be taken only if temparature is above 99.

My worry is it should not relapse or become chronic by stopping Zifi!

Incase of discontinuing Zifi, after how many hours lactating is advisable?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Zifi is indicated for bacterial infection.
You have not mentioned about tests that are suggestive of bacterial infection.
You also have not mentioned how long she has been having fever.

The Widal test report does not indicate she is having enteric fever.

Your baby is 3 weeks old. Till 4 months of age exclusive breastfeeding should be done. So I am against stopping breastfeeding unless there is absolute indication.

Let her stop zifi and just continue breastfeeding. There is no need to wait.
And for fever up to 5 she can take Dolo 650. if the fever persists for more than 5 days, let other tests be done.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
Dear Sir,

She had high fever (103) on 09th Jan'13 evening. My doctor is not available for Face to face consultation and she advised me over phone these medicines and adviced us to wait for a day and then take Malaria, Widal test, Microfilaria, Dengue and Culture Sensitivity test. Fever lasted on the second day too. Hence, we went with the test. Since yesterday there is no fever and she is absolutely normal!!

I got the test results yesterday evening and read it to my doctor and sh
e advised me to continue the medicines for two weeks and adviced to stop lactating. She said, we have to repeat the blood test after two weeks and then decide further progress.

When I searched in google,I was getting different opinions on Widal test readings and that is when i noticed this site and thought of taking a try.

In the test report its mentioned Positive against first two types of Sal. Tyhi O & H.

Kindly advise this is typhoid or para typhoid or just a viral fever.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
My first advice to you - Stop "googling" as not all sites provide reliable information.

Visit only sites that are reliable and run my medical community including healthcare magic.

Widal test should be done only if the fever persists more than one week and not on the second day.

Her Widal test report is not suggestive of Typhoid. It might be viral fever. The differential white blood cell count will provide a clue.

Since she is having fever only for the past 2-3 days and that there is no fever now, there is no need for any medication other just paracetamol ( Dolo).

So my advice -
1. Stop Zifi
2. Take Dolo 650 when there is fever
3. Let her continue breastfeeding.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini