Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

177 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Taking warfarin and bleeding from legs. Should I go to ER?

Answered by
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9409 Questions

Posted on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband was recently treated with warfarin, it went wrong with him. His leg was full of blood all the way to his hips.He went thru surgery and they put a vaccuum pump on him for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks of rehab he can finally stand again and walk a little bit. They sent him home and I have to apply three times a day dressings to the open wound about 7 cm deep and 3 inches wide. This week all of a sudden the blood gashed out of the incision and I had to call 911 to put him in the emergency room to stop the bleeding. My question is, will this blood gashing continue, what are the best alternative to put him back in re-hap?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes; request your doctor for help Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing in. I have gone through your query with diligence, and I attribute all your husband's problems to the warfarin use. The main problem here is that warfarin has a long half-life (i.e. it takes a lot of time for warfarin to exit your system). This means that your husband will be exposed to a blood-thinning effect and answering your question; yes ma'am, your husband will be exposed to this blood gushing for a while longer (exactly how long, we cannot really say). The only way you can get your husband back into rehab, is to first wait for the wound to heal, and then request your doctor to help recommend your husband back to rehab. I hope this information helps you ma'am, please keep your husband safe and ask him to be careful for a few days, till the warfarin exits your husband's system. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ketone

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am on Warfarin for A-Fib. I had a bad cold and was coughing a lot. During one coughing fit I experienced a sharp pain and slight swelling just at the bottom of my rib cage. Applied ice and pain subsided but is painful to cough at all. That was about 5 days ago. Today I notice a huge bruise across my side and stomach. There is no pain except when I cough. I m aware of the bruising factor when taking warfarin, it s just the size of this bruise is alarming. Any thoughts ?

doctor1 MD

Dx with ASD hole, cardiologist stt born with it. At the time Dec 1, 11 I was told they could do cath. surg to fix. But not seems like there putting that off, I m also anemic... not sure why Doc. now want to wait, tell me to take my time... I m 47 and do not want to wait till I get to old. I m on warfarin, ferrous, something for gerd, and simavistan, what should I do?

doctor1 MD

I am 31, I weigh 135 lbs and am 5ยด4 .I was 5 weeks pregnant and took 800mg of cytotec 3 oral and i vaginally. The next day I bleed a little and saw very little blood clots. On the second day there was very little bleeding. Should I take another dose of cytotec as I am not sure that the abortion was succesful

doctor1 MD

I am taking 4mg of naltrexone at night . It has started to strenghthen me. I have the coxsackie virus. I have taken LDN for two months. I am concerned about side effects in the future. I have had the virus for 18 years and each time it erupts it...

doctor1 MD

Good afternoon Dr XXXXXXX I have dry cough & pain in the chest

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a confidential question and need help to understand what I am taking; Can you help Are you there?? I have a family and need to take the steps to correct myself. I have several concerns Chronic Pain , Been on Oxycontin 80mg and percocet...