Taking valance od 250 for migraine from long period. Any solution to cure this problem?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi !!!!! My friend is having migraine problem from past 13 years he is taking tab valance od 250 regular basis every night for past 3 years and migrest tablet for past 7 years if it was sever pain as per doctor advice . requested to provide clarification is do we have solution for this can it be cured ??????????
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Migraine is a chronic condition, and medications are required for a long time. In about 30% of cases, medications are required for may be lifetime. In the remaining 70%, medicines may be stopped after a few years.

Migraine can not be fully cured in most people, however, with proper treatment, the headache frequency comes down quite a bit.

Valance OD is a good medicine, however, the minimum effective dose is usually 500 mg once daily.

Those who do not adequately respond to valance OD (divalproex), there are other medicines such as Topiramate, beta blockers, flunarizine, etc.

In very refractory cases that do not respond to oral medications, one can also use Botox injections.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad