Taking treatment of psoriasis. Is it safe to take methotrexate and folic acid?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Psoriasis
Question: hi i am taking treatment of Psoriasis adn docor have precribed me methotrexate and folic acid tablet ..... i have been reading a lot of side effects of it like fertility problem. so what suppliments can i take to reduce its side effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Methotrexate (MTX) is a chemotherapy drug that prevents cell reproduction by interfering with folic acid activation.
 Although very effective, its use potentially may produce serious side effects including nausea, mouth ulcers, blood problems, liver cirrhosis, and hair loss. Prolonged treatment with MTX may also lead to folic acid deficiency. To reduce the risk of these side effects, a maximum daily dose of 5mg of folic acid is recommended .
It does cause fertility problems and pregnancy should be avoided during its use and for at least three months after stopping it.
Similarly no vaccination should be given for at least 3 months after the stoppage of MTX.
Keep checking your blood regularly for blood counts and liver function tests.
Since there are increased chances of infection with it's use,you must immediately inform your doctor if you develop sore throat,high fever,loss of appetite,mouth sores,dark urine etc.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 28 minutes later
hello,
thanks for responding
I have one more question by taking this medicine the natural functioning of blood cell will be changed . so if this is the case i will have to take this medicine on regular basis and this may cause side effect on my body..... till now have never been prescribed any such drug or high dose medicine.

If any supplement in diet can be added , that can reduce its side effects. As this is winter season catching cough and cold is very normal thing .... so while taking this medicine if i get any such infection what will be the side effects......

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 34 minutes later
Definitely it causes side effects but this drug is only used in severe cases of psoriasis where other medications have failed to respond.
If there is no side effect of this medicine,then it can be taken for years.
As far as other supplements are concerned take plenty of VIT C and B complex but in consultation with your doctor.
Try avoiding infections but in case you get it,inform your doctor immediately.
Thanks