Taking torleva 1gm and sodium valproate 600mg for irregular myoclonic seizure. Is this treatment safe?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: my daughter is presribed to take torleva1gm daily in divided dose .she has irregular myclonic seizure from 2008.last 2 years she is treated with sodium valproate 6oomg daily . her valproic acid level is 38.6 m.mol./l
she has no jark for last 2years . is the treatment o.k.?will torleva herm her in in long term?please suggests/
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your daughter is suffering from juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME).

Both torleva (levetiracetam) and sodium valproate are very safe and effective medications for treating JME.

Both the medications can be safely used in long term and have no significant adverse effects.

When she gets married and plans pregnancy, then sodium valproate may need to be stopped as it may harm the baby.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist,
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad