Taking thyroxine sodium to maintain TSH level. Noticed dark skin complexion and weight loss. Diet plan?

Posted on Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Here is my details:

On 28/11/2012 -TSH --- 150
On 05/01/2013 -TSH --- 7.56
On 26/01/2013 - TSH --- 4.57

So from 28/11/2012 i used take 100mcg - Thyroxin sodium tablets..and still taking....Do i need to continue this dosage or i need to minimise this ?...I lost almost 7 kg now when compared to my weight on 28/11/2012 , and skin has become dark compared to earlier fairness....so is this bcos of high dosage? Pls suggest me.
Need complete info about deit when i am having this thyroxin sodium tablets to maintain proper weight and my fairness which was effected by intake of this tablets.
Answered by Dr. Rajaram KG 31 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. You have to take thyroxine tablets lifelong.Untreated patients with hypothyroidism gain weight and once treatment is initiated they loose weight. Your thyroxine dosage is not high. We prescribe that dose of thyroxine which maintains TSH in normal range. With present dose TSH is normal range. If dosage was more TSH would have been suppressed below normal- thats when dosage is reduced not now. The problem you are having is reduced thyroid hormone production the treatment is to supplement it from outside. So the treatment you are taking is natural replacement of thyroid hormone. So it wouldnt have any sideeffects. Your skin complexion changeay not be related to thyroxine.
There is nothing specific in diet. Avoid bulk quantities of cauliflowr, cabbage, soyabean & radish. Normal quantitoes can be taken Take tablets early morning and after thst dont take anything for next 1 hour invluding tea, coffee.
Increase food intake if you wanna put on weight. Nothing else can be done from thyroid point of view. Hypothyroidism is a simple, straihjt forward problem only that it requires long term medication.
Hope this helps,
Shivaprasad
Dr. Rajaram KG

Orthopaedic Surgeon