Taking thyroxine 5 mg for TSH. Noticed sudden increase in weight and difficulty to speak. Worrisome

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am aged 50 / Sex : Male / Weight 107 Kilo

The Issue is,have been diagnosed with T S H in Jul 2012 and since then,taking Thyroxine 5 MG twice daily
Not a know case of D M
taking treatment for high blood pressure with medication of : Nebicard 5 MG & Benitec 40
Since, last one week,I observe sudden surge in my body weight,with difficulty in speech,Increase in fatigue level all the previous symptoms of TSH - Thyroid.

Accustomed to walk four K M daily early morning however,my walk speed has reduced and swim for half an hour,my swimming cycles have dropped in view of slow moments

I believe,again there is a surge of TSH and hormonal disturbance,please advice.

Eventhough,I take very less food,the surge in body weight is troubling me a lot

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 17 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Please answer the following questions before I could answer your query:
- Was your TSH high at the begining or it was less than 0.5? If it is more than 5 then it is called hypothyroidism and if it is less than 0.5 then it is called hyperthyroidism. Which thyroid disorder you are having?
- The reason I am asking you this is because the medication- Thyroxin- does not come in the strength of 5 mg nor it is given twice a day. I thought you might be taking a tab Thyrocab 5 mg twice a day. Please confirm the name and ingredients in the medication you are taking.
- Please let me know the name of diabetes medications to explain about weight gain and slowness if it is because of thyroid medications or it is due to high sugars/ different diabetes medications.
Shall wait for your answer. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 28 minutes later
dear dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

thanks for your query posted in my portal.

I would examine the medication and shall send you a detailed reply

thanks for your Immediate help - with regards,
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Fine. I shall wait for your message here.