Taking synthyroid for muscle weakness, fatigue, dizziness. Had blood work done

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have symotoms of muscle weakness, fatigue, dizziness, light headed , belching, bloated. My vitamin d is 27.5. My wbc is 3.9, lymph is 47, and others are low. Could this be the cause of it. I am taking synthyroid 25mcg
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid hormones in blood, hemoglobin, BP, Glucose Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I ma afraid it could be very important to get the levels of the thyroid hormones in the body measured or checked regularly, in case you have bot been doing so lately (T3, T4, TSH). Fatigue, muscle weakness, in case associated with body pain or joint pains could suggest a rheumatologic origin. Diseases like polymyalgia rheumatica are common causes, and could be more probable in this case, especially if you are tired mainly at shoulder level and at the level of the pelvic girdles. Your complete blood count was done, it might be interesting checking the hemoglobin level. In case it was low, say less than 11, Iron deficiency could explain this fatigue. It is interesting to know your normal blood pressure level. It is not rare to have light headedness in persons with low blood pressures (hypotension) or high blood pressure (hypertension). Any late psychological problems are important to be noted. Problems at family level, job, any recent change of environment. All these could alter feeding habits. Lack of exercise, especially in persons who are used to doing exercise could be associated with bloating or other digestive problems. Belching usually arises due to excessive gad produced at the level of the colon. A complete clinical review however is needed to exclude other serious digestive tract problems. The duration of the disease is however very important to be noted. I suggest you consult your doctor to check the thyroid hormone levels in blood. Blood sugar level, blood pressure control, exercise, eating regularly with more vegetables and fruits as mainstay of the diet, drinking much water could be most helpful for now. In case of muscle pain or weakness, joint pain, there is likely possibility of a rheumatological condition. However, e detailed physical examination and medical history from your doctor remains the mainstay of diagnosis and treatment. Hemoglobin levels are also very useful to exclude any fatigue from low hemoglobin levels (Anemia). Please feel free asking any follow up questions in case you have nay specific concerns. Kind regards. Dr Rogers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E